Aren’t you in summer mode now? Your bagel can be too! Check out these bagel toppings that are ideal for summer.
- Whipped cream cheese and fresh fruit. This is simple – if you can’t find whipped cream cheese, make your own by throwing the cream cheese in a bowl and attacking it with a hand mixer. You can beat in flavoring or a little sugar if you have a sweet tooth. Schmear on the sliced and lightly toasted bagel, then top with finely sliced fruit like strawberries, kiwi, peaches, etc.
- Alfredo sauce and provolone cheese. This is a twist on the pizza bagel, just lighter. Top with some finely slivered green pepper or onion for more flavor, or douse with parmesan and sprinkle with mozzarella for three cheese goodness.
- Honey butter. This one is amazingly simple, but can be complex in flavor if you know a shop that sells different honey varieties. There are many flavors besides clover! Beat softened butter with hand mixer, and drizzle in honey until the consistency is that of thick whipped cream. Slather on a hot toasted bagel and bite in as it melts.
- Avocado. This goes great on an everything bagel, either sliced thinly and doused with fresh sea salt and black pepper with a squeeze of lemon juice, or turned into a fresh guacamole and used as a spread.
- Turkey club. The trick to this one is not to overdo it with the toppings – you’ll end up with a behemoth you can’t fit your jaw around. Slice the bagel twice, so you have three layers, and then slap on some thin sliced turkey, cheese of your choosing, and a strip of crisp bacon. Add the dressing of your choice, a thin slice of tomato, a leaf of lettuce, and enjoy.
Your summer can be bagel friendly and fancy free. Let us know your favorite toppings for summer!