New Yorker Bagels – if you’ve visited or live in New York City, you’ve probably had our delicious bagels, even if you didn’t know it at the time. We pride ourselves in bagel basics – from plain to poppy seed, sesame to sourdough, and cinnamon raisin to cranberry energy, we’ve got it all. Everything, onion, whole wheat, sourdough, egg – we roll with the times and keep expanding.
But have other bagelries taken one of New York’s signature foodstuffs a bit too far? It’s not just size – one franchise seems to specialize in oversized frisbees – or weird uniformity (identical orbs gleaming under the glass); it’s the toppings that have jumped the shark.
Bagels are best fresh and hot, maybe with a bit of butter. We even support the traditional schmears of lox, cream cheese, and so on. Hey, you want to get freaky with Nutella and bacon bits in the privacy of your own home, go for it! It’s a free country.
But what happens when you let the hipsters run wild with bagel toppings so insane they sound like the beginning of a bad horror movie? We’re not kidding. We’ve seen things which cannot be unseen.
Avoid the crazy combos like melted ice cream blended with anchovies, and try these instead, available at various shops across the city – they can serve as inspiration for you to try new combinations at home atop your very own, newly purchased and still fresh New York Bagel:
- Housemade cream cheese. If a bakery offers this option, take it! Nothing like fresh made over storebought.
- Herbed Tofu. We promise, it’s better than you’d think!
- Almond Butter. Also Sesame Seed butter (or tahini). Great alternative for those with peanut allergy.
- Tobiko Caviar. Yum!
- Beet-cured Salmon – double yum!
- Horseradish Cream Cheese. We know. Try it.
- Candy Cane Radishes – unbelievably crisp and sweet!
- Sturgeon and Butter
- Smoked Sable and Goat Cream Cheese
- Kippered Salmon with slices of tomato and a garish of briny Capers.
- Whipped Caviar Cream Cheese
- House-cured Gravlax
- Chopped Liver
- Egg Salad
- Fried Chickpeas
- Lamb Tagine
- Yemenite Curry
- Smoked Whitefish Salad and Wasabi Tobiko
- Sturgeon, fresh Jalapenos and Heirloom Tomato
The bagel makes the meal, not the other way round – but having fun with toppings can certainly make life more interesting! What’s your latest bagel topping craze?