Bagels are the quick and easy meal of many on-the-go Americans, and everyone from grown adults to small children can appreciate the fresh, chewy goodness of a freshly baked bagel. There are many reasons to love bagels, so let’s list off the many wonderful things about this multi-functional food now.
- Bagels are considered the perfect food primarily for their texture. Taking a bite of a bagel is special, especially when it’s done right. The outside should be crusty by not hard or crunchy, and the inside should be soft and warm. The firm chewiness is the best part, and bagels can even be toasted for even more texture.
- Whether you’re getting them fresh off the rack at a bakery or toasting one to-go at the house before work, a bagel is always one of the quickest options for breakfast. Their shape makes them easy to hold too, so no matter where you are, you can enjoy a quick snack.
- Multi-functionality. Not big on breakfast? Prefer a breakfast bar or a cup of coffee? No worries, you don’t have to miss out on the bagel craze. Bagels are great for lunch, and with some lunch meat, cream cheese, or even veggies, a bagel can be the perfect companion for nearly anything in your lunch box. Stick in the fridge until you’re ready to eat it, or toast it for a warm lunch.
- Diets don’t have to suck the fun out of eating. Depriving your body of carbohydrates can actually make you feel worse, so don’t settle for a salad every day of the week. A bagel with veggies or protein-packed toppings like meat or peanut butter can make you feel loads better, and take a huge edge off that hunger-headache you might have growing in your temples.
- Bagels come in a large variety of flavors, so you’re bound to find something you like, no matter how picky you might be. From sweet to savory to simple and plain, bagels are the crowning champion of options. Chocolate, blueberry, cinnamon– onion, garlic, sesame– wheat, plain, multigrain– there’s so many choices, so take your time going down the line, and don’t settle for just one staple flavor.
If you’re still hesitant, try picking one up next time you’re on the run, and experience a freshly baked bagel for yourself. Bagel shops and cafes are cropping up all over Boston, New York, and San Francisco, and for good reason.
Bagels are the super-food of this day and age, packed full of carbohydrates and vitamins for your health and wellbeing. Don’t base your opinion of this versatile food off of old, store bought bagels, try a fresh one and realize the deliciousness of a true, old fashioned New York bagel today.